May 17, 2013
FARM BILLS OUT OF COMMITTEE
Both the House and Senate Agriculture Committees have now passed their respective versions of a new farm bill. The Senate has moved to proceed with consideration of the farm bill, and are expected to begin discussion on the bill Monday, May 20. The House will likely take up the bill in June. After the bills are passed in their respective houses, a conference committee will be appointed to reconcile the differences in the bills. Lawmakers have a deadline of September 30, when the one-year extension of the 2008 bill expires. A chart comparing key issues in the current law with both the Senate and House bills is attached.
Farm Bill Comparison 051613.pdf
THANK MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND FOR BEEF MARKET RALLY
Several factors have been limiting beef demand lately – cold weather, big supplies of competing meats, high gas prices, higher payroll taxes – but that is changing. Choice boxed beef reached record levels above $200/cwt. last week, with fed cattle prices not far behind. The late spring rally comes after boxed beef and fed markets appeared to have topped in March, according to Derrell Peel, Oklahoma State University Extension livestock marketing specialist. Peel says the rally can be attributed to beef purchases ahead of the upcoming Memorial Day weekend.
UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS RANKED IN TOP 100 WORLD-WIDE
According to rankings just released by QS (an information service for institutions of higher education), the University of Arkansas ranks in the top 100 institutions in the world in its programs for agriculture and forestry. UC-Davis ranked number 1 overall. Arkansas was number 88 among agricultural universities world-wide.
ARKANSAS WATER PLAN MEETINGS. . . .Arkansas Natural Resources Commission will hold 14 public meetings on existing and future water use and needs forecasting during June of 2013. The schedule for the public meetings on the Arkansas Water Plan is as follows:
2013 NATIONAL VALUE ADDED AGRICULTURE CONFERENCE MAY 19-21, 2013
- June 3, Arkadelphia: Henderson State University- Garrison Center Auditorium, 6:30 p.m.
- June 4, Fort Smith: Fort Smith Convention Center, 6:30 p.m.
- June 4, Pine Bluff: Family Church, 8 a.m. (water plan presentation at 11 a.m.)
- June 5, Little Rock: Arkansas Game & Fish Commission Auditorium, 1:30 p.m.
- June 6, Harrison: North Arkansas College- Durand Center, Durand B, 6:30 p.m.
- June 6, Stuttgart: Phillips Community College- Grand Prairie Center, Salon B, 6:30 p.m.
- June 6, Russellville: Location TBA, Time TBA
- June 11, Fayetteville: Pauline Whitaker Animal Science Center, 3 p.m. & 5:30 p.m.
- June 12, Clinton: Annex Court House Room, 3 p.m. & 5:30 p.m.
- June 13, Searcy: Carmichael Community Center, 1 p.m.
- June 17, Jonesboro: Arkansas State University Convocation Center, 6:30 p.m.
- June 18, Forrest City: East Arkansas Community College Fine Arts Center Banquet Hall, 6:30 p.m.
- June 19, Heber Springs: Community Center, 5:30 p.m.
- June 20, Smackover: Arkansas Museum of Natural Resources, 6:30 p.m.
In these trying economic times, growers and agribusinesses are actively seeking ways to maintain, increase profits, and/or diversify their operations. The 2013 National Value Added Conference provides a wonderful opportunity to enhance understanding, identify resources, and to network with other service providers as well as innovative entrepreneurs.
The theme of the 2013 Conference is "Local Economic Development Through Entrepreneurship". Please make plans now to attend the 15th Annual National Value Added Conference to be held in Rogers, Arkansas (May 19-21) at the Embassy Suites Northwest Arkansas - Hotel, Spa & Convention Center. Featured conference speakers include Joe Quinn, Wal-Mart Senior Director of Issue Management and Strategic Outreach, and Doug O'Brien, Deputy Under Secretary for Rural Development USDA.
2013 Value Added Conference Agenda_.pdf
GENERAL MOTORS PRIVATE OFFER
Members can save $500 on qualifying 2011/2013 model year Chevrolet, GMC or Buick vehicles. Complete details at http://www.arfb.com/member_services/gm/
« go back to Listings