Young Farmers & Ranchers Discussion Meet
The Young Farmers & Ranchers Discussion Meet competition
simulates a committee meeting where discussion and active participation
are expected from each participant. By participating, young men and
women build basic discussion skills, develop a keen understanding of
important agricultural issues and explore how groups can pool knowledge
to reach consensus and solve problems. The Discussion Meet gives young
men and women an opportunity to strengthen their ability to analyze
agricultural issues and decide on solutions.
This competition is evaluated on an exchange of ideas and
information on a per-determined topic. The judges look for the
competitor who offers constructive criticism, cooperation, and
communication while analyzing agricultural problems and developing
As a leadership training and self-improvement activity, the Discussion Meet experience:
- Stimulates logical thinking and a desire for accurate information.
- Develops a concise and direct manner of speaking.
- Improves the ability to listen.
- Teaches the value of compromise.
- Develops leaders for effective problem-solving through group discussion.
ENTRY DEADLINE IS NOVEMBER 22, 2016
Discussion Meet Application and Entry Form
Discussion Questions and Resource Materials
Applicants for the Discussion Meet competition must meet the following criteria:
- Must be actively involved in agriculture.
- Must be voting Farm Bureau members between the ages of 18 and
35. The individual will not have reached their 36th birthday by January
31st of the year following the Arkansas State Farm Bureau convention
at which the competitive event is held.
- Past and present American Farm Bureau Federation YF&R committee members are ineligible.
- County, state and national Farm Bureau employees are not eligible, and employees of affiliated companies are not eligible.
The winner of the Arkansas Discussion Meet receives:
- $7000 toward Polaris ATV or UTV.
- $2500 cash from Farm Bureau Bank.
- Trip to the American Farm Bureau Convention to compete in the national contest.
documents on this page are available in PDF format. You must have Adobe
Acrobat Reader installed to view the files. If you do not have the
Reader installed, you may download it FREE.