The Young Farmers & Ranchers Discussion Meet competition simulates a committee meeting where discussion and active participation are expected from each participant. By participating, young men and women build basic discussion skills, develop a keen understanding of important agricultural issues and explore how groups can pool knowledge to reach consensus and solve problems. The Discussion Meet gives young men and women an opportunity to strengthen their ability to analyze agricultural issues and decide on solutions.
This competition is evaluated on an exchange of ideas and information on a per-determined topic. The judges look for the competitor who offers constructive criticism, cooperation, and communication while analyzing agricultural problems and developing solutions.
As a leadership training and self-improvement activity, the Discussion Meet experience:
- Stimulates logical thinking and a desire for accurate information.
- Develops a concise and direct manner of speaking.
- Improves the ability to listen.
- Teaches the value of compromise.
- Develops leaders for effective problem-solving through group discussion.
ENTRY DEADLINE IS JUNE 30, 2021.
Applicants for the Discussion Meet competition must meet the following criteria:
- Must be actively involved in agriculture.
- Must be voting Farm Bureau members between the ages of 18 and 35. The individual will not have reached their 36th birthday by January 31st of the year following the Arkansas State Farm Bureau convention at which the competitive event is held.
- Past and present American Farm Bureau Federation YF&R committee members are ineligible.
- County, state and national Farm Bureau employees are not eligible, and employees of affiliated companies are not eligible.
The winner of the Arkansas Discussion Meet receives:
- $7,000 cash
- Trip to the American Farm Bureau Convention to compete in the national contest.
Three runners up receive $500 cash each.