The Young Farmers & Ranchers Discussion Meet competition simulates a committee meeting where discussion and active participation are expected from each participant. By participating, young men and women build basic discussion skills, develop a keen understanding of important agricultural issues and explore how groups can pool knowledge to reach consensus and solve problems. The Discussion Meet gives young men and women an opportunity to strengthen their ability to analyze agricultural issues and decide on solutions.
This competition is evaluated on an exchange of ideas and information on a per-determined topic. The judges look for the competitor who offers constructive criticism, cooperation, and communication while analyzing agricultural problems and developing solutions.
As a leadership training and self-improvement activity, the Discussion Meet experience:
- Stimulates logical thinking and a desire for accurate information.
- Develops a concise and direct manner of speaking.
- Improves the ability to listen.
- Teaches the value of compromise.
- Develops leaders for effective problem-solving through group discussion.
ENTRY DEADLINE IS NOVEMBER 16, 2018
UPDATED: Discussion Meet Questions for 2018
(Note: The document title states that these are questions for 2019, but they WILL be used at the 2018 state convention.)
Click on the image below to see the official 2018 YF&R Discussion Meet Flyer.
Applicants for the Discussion Meet competition must meet the following criteria:
- Must be actively involved in agriculture.
- Must be voting Farm Bureau members between the ages of 18 and 35. The individual will not have reached their 36th birthday by January 31st of the year following the Arkansas State Farm Bureau convention at which the competitive event is held.
- Past and present American Farm Bureau Federation YF&R committee members are ineligible.
- County, state and national Farm Bureau employees are not eligible, and employees of affiliated companies are not eligible.
The winner of the Arkansas Discussion Meet receives:
- $7000 cash
- Trip to the American Farm Bureau Convention to compete in the national contest.
Three runners up receive $500 cash each.
The winner of the national Discussion Meet will be determined during AFBF’s 99th Annual Convention on Jan. 5-10, 2018 in Nashville, Tennessee. The winner will receive:
- a 2018 Ford truck and paid registration to the AFBF YF&R Leadership Conference in Reno, Nevada on Feb.16-19, 2018. The Achievement Award truck is provided courtesy of Southern Farm Bureau Life Insurance.
The runner-up will receive:
- a Case IH Farmall 50A tractor, courtesy of Case IH.
The third place finalist will receive:
- a Case IH 40” Combination Roll Cabinet & Top Chest and $500 Case IH parts card, courtesy of Case IH and $2,000 of Stanley Black & Decker merchandise (PROTO, Dewalt, Stanley, Lenox & Irwin) courtesy of Stanley Black & Decker.
The fourth place winner will receive:
- a Case IH 40” Combination Roll Cabinet & Top Chest and $500 Case IH parts card, courtesy of Case IH.