The Young Farmers & Ranchers Excellence in Agriculture Award recognizes young farmers and ranchers who actively contribute and grow through their involvement in agriculture and Farm Bureau. The award is designed for an individual or couple who do not have the majority of their income subject to normal production risk. Competitors are judged on a combination of their:
- Involvement in agriculture.
- Leadership ability.
- Participation in Farm Bureau and other organizations (i.e., civic, service and community).
ENTRY DEADLINE IS FEBRUARY 26, 2018
Applicants for the Excellence in Agriculture Award competition must meet the following criteria:
- Must not derive the majority of their income from an owned agricultural operation for the past three years.
- Must be a member in good standing with their county Farm Bureau.
- May be an individual or a married couple (husband and wife).
- Must be a Farm Bureau member between the ages of 18 and 35. The individual or spouse will not have reached their 36th birthday by January 31st of the year following the Arkansas State Farm Bureau Convention at which the competitive event is held. If the spouse is over 35 years of age, the applicant must apply as an individual.
- Past and present members of the American Farm Bureau Young Farmers and Ranchers Committee or their spouses are not eligible to compete.
- Previous Arkansas Excellence in Agriculture Award winners, and/or winners of the American Farm Bureau Excellence in Agriculture Award are not eligible to compete.
- County, state and national Farm Bureau employees and employees of affiliate companies are not eligible.
- Applicants may compete in only one state or national event per year.
The prizes for the Arkansas Excellence in Agriculture Award are:
- $11,000 cash prize for the winner
- $1,500 cash prizes for two runners-up
Prizes are provided by the Farm Bureau Mutual Insurance Company, Arkansas Farm Bureau and PCI Printing Company.
The winner of the national Excellence in Agriculture Award will be determined during AFBF’s 99th Annual Convention on Jan. 5-10, 2018 in Nashville, Tennessee. The winner will receive:
- a 2018 Ford truck and paid registration to the AFBF YF&R Leadership Conference in Reno, Nevada on Feb.16-19, 2018. The Achievement Award truck is provided courtesy of Southern Farm Bureau Life Insurance.
The runner-up will receive:
- a Case IH Farmall 50A tractor, courtesy of Case IH.
The third place finalist will receive:
- a Case IH 40” Combination Roll Cabinet & Top Chest and $500 Case IH parts card, courtesy of Case IH and $2,000 of Stanley Black & Decker merchandise (PROTO, Dewalt, Stanley, Lenox & Irwin) courtesy of Stanley Black & Decker.
The fourth place winner will receive:
- a Case IH 40” Combination Roll Cabinet & Top Chest and $500 Case IH parts card, courtesy of Case IH.